Day 1: The Kickoff

Date: January 15th 2011
Distance: 7 miles
Weather: Foggy with some snow

This post marks a kickoff to my 2011 marathon training. It is a day of firsts:

First post in this countdown
First run of 2011
First run in the new Nike's (thanks Mom!)
First solitary long run
First attempt to wake up at 5am on Saturday (actual waking time: 6:22)

So I have some bugs to work out, but I have a feeling its going to be a good year. I hashed out a sweet 16 week training schedule, and I'm ready to put on the miles

Today's run was more of a 7 mile obstacle course. It consisted of navigating the crusty frozen snow, slush, and ice chunks that have accumulated on the sidewalk oven the last 8 weeks of winter. Apparently they closed down segments of the Provo river trail and left runners to fend for themselves. I could mostly follow the trails of footprints but it was still rather treacherous. I was at my best... deftly avoiding the black ice, gracefully hurdling the frozen snowplow vomit that piled up on the curbs... and then at mile 4 I "put my foot in it." I stepped on a frozen puddle in a ditch, breaking through the ice and soaking my foot and sock. My new shoes! Sorry Mom but it had to happen sometime.

1 comment:

  1. You'd also better practice with a jogging stroller. I think Rainbow Sparkles would like to be in this as well as her mother.

    ReplyDelete