Day 2: Owned by the false 5k of death

Date: January 18th, 2011
Distance: 3.1 miles (maybe)
Weather: Warmer and melty


I did an evening 5k tonight, running the basic route of the Rex Lee Run around BYU campus. I left in a hurry at 8:39 pm, vowing that I would be home by 9. I've done a 5k that fast before so I was pretty confident I could make it, but I would have to boogie.


It was a hard run. The weather was great, but I was really cranking it the whole time, in order to make it back in by my goal. I wasn't sure of the exact Rex Lee route and the traffic lights were causing delaying me.

I hadn't run a 5k for a long time, and while I was in decent shape, my pace was inconsistent. The whole last stretch was one big uphill that was about a mile long. I was dying but I told myself that if I made it in time then the BYU Basketball team would beat TCU tonight (ha ha... as I waited at the last traffic light, a kid told me that we were up by 20, so that was encouraging).


To my dismay I busted through the door and the clock said:

9:04

I was way disappointed. I think the traffic lights killed my chance, but most likely I'm slower than I thought. But I guess that's why I'm training.

I hadn't been that exhausted in a long time. I felt like death on a stick.

2 comments: