Day 4: Rocking South Provo

Date: January 22nd 2011, 9am
Distance: 7.3 miles
Weather: Sunny, warm and gusty

Since today was a longer run, I decided to try running with the ol' Ipod shuffle. After loading up some good tunes, I hit the road.

It was a glorious start. Here I am, running due south down 9th east, coasting down the hill, with the wind at my back and rocking out to some good old Switchfoot and Jimmy Eat World. I was as happy as a clam. In fact, I was so pleased that in my distracted state I missed my turn onto 300 south and found my self in front of the Provo Cemetery (In my defense, the Ipod had just started playing Rock Lobster, and I was really enjoying rocking it old school... Uncle Jim, you would understand).

Anywho, I turned around and got back on course, heading straight for the hills. I was almost to the mountains when I saw a huge sign saying "Road Closed." As I approached, I thought, "Road closed for cars... right?" I decided to stick to the plan and run through the construction. "They are probably just putting in one little pipe."

Well, I was wrong. The had no less than 15 construction vehicles out there, and it looked like a war zone. There were all these warning signs about staying away from the power lines and not getting too close to the thingimabob, and yada yada. Fortunately the sidewalk was pretty clear (except for this place where these huge tarps had blown onto the side of the road and were gumming up my running path). The wind was really strong. I would be running with the wind at my back and watch all these leaves blow quickly past me from behind. I was glad I wasn't running into the wind. Maybe it would change direction when I have to turn around and come back.

It didn't.

The wind slowed me down a bit but my spirits were lifted by Michael Jackson (may he rest in peace). I adapted the words to help encourage me. "If you're thinkin of bein' a runner it don't matter if you're black or white."Haha... that's debatable, but you get the point.

I also saw one of those signs on the side of the road that said, "Your Speed", so I picked up the pace a little bit, hoping it would display something impressive. Sadly, it didn't pick me up at all. I'll have to do another run down there and give it another try.

The rest wasn't bad. There are a lot of opinions about running with music... that it can screw up your pace, and so forth. But that was my first time doing it, and it sure made the run seem a lot shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment