Day 8: Frigid 5k

Date: February 1st 2011, 7:15 pm
Distance: 3.1 miles
Weather: Bitter


Frigid \ˈfri-jəd\ adj.  
1. Intensely cold.

That pretty much sums up the run, but allow me to go into a bit more detail.


Yesterday, a co-worker of mine told me that there was an arctic cold front coming in from the north. I brushed it off. So tonight I figured that I'd just dress warm before I went out there. So I donned a full sweatsuit on top of two t-shirts, beenie and gloves. I felt pretty confident... it wasn't till I was out there for about 2 minutes that I realized what me vs. 7° F and 7 mph winds meant.


I started off running into the wind. The first thing to freeze was my face. I ran faster, to warm up my body, but it only increased the wind and froze my face even more. I endured for awhile but it was stinging really bad when I finally got stopped at a traffic light. I covered my face with my and breathed heavily into them. I defrosted enough to keep going when the light turned green.


At the moment when the wind got strongest, a guy blew past me on his bike. I was miserable but I sure felt bad for him... his face must have been completely numb. I soon got on the river trail and was surprised to see that the Provo river wasn't frozen solid. I know it sounds like I'm being dramatic, but it was bad. I hadn't been so cold since I was a 16 yr punk freezing my can off at the Klondike campout.


Well, the river trail was short and once I got off, the wind was at my back. I was amazed at how much less cold it was without the wind in my face. My hands were alright, and the heavy breathing helped to warm up my face. I began to relax and the rest of the run went by pretty quickly. 

A couple more experiences like that and you'll find me putting miles on the treadmill instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment