Day 11: More Construction

Date: February 8th 2011 7:45 pm
Distance: 4 miles
Weather: Not very interesting

This run was a little unique because I got to start it on campus. I had a work meeting at the Tanner building at 6:30 pm and I showed up at the meeting in my running gear. I got a few funny looks but its a pretty casual meeting so I don't think I offended anybody. Once the meeting ended, I ran south, past the "presidents house," and when I got to the Maeser Building, the sidewalk that went down to the tennis courts had a makeshift sign drawn with with a sharpie marker that said "stairs are closed." It was a dinky sign so I figured that it was either a prank or the grounds crew was getting budget cuts. I decided to keep going to see what I found.

Surprise surprise. The stairs were all wrapped in construction tape. The concrete steps were chewed up so badly that it looked like somebody had tried to drive a snowplow down them instead of shoveling.

Apparently, it didn't work.

Which makes me wonder... what the heck is with all the construction everywhere. No matter where I go, my route always ends up being blocked off by orange tape. I mentioned some sort of construction obstacle on day 1, day 4, day 6, and day 11 (I failed to mention one on day 10). That's nearly 50%. And that isn't including all the construction I pass on the side of the road. Cmon people... lets figure out how to make roads that don't break down.

My trip down Center street and up 9th east was relatively uneventful. Oh, but I did hear a group of guys in the parking lot of the Creamery break out into what sounded like an asynchronous drunken rendition of "I'm Henry the Eighth I am."

Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment