Day 47: Early Morning Time Crunch

Date: May 3rd 2011, 7:30am
Distance: 4.7 miles
Weather: Nice and Cool

This morning I was getting ready for school when I looked at the clock and saw that I had an hour before I needed to leave. "If I run really fast," I thought, "then I will be able to get home in time to shower and not be late for school."  However, knowing that the traffic lights don't always work to my favor, it brought an element of gambling to the table. Either way, I knew I had to run fast.


Things went OK all the way down University Parkway, but once I turned back East (near Olive Garden) the traffic lights turned on me. I hit 3 or 4 bad red lights in a row... the kind where you missed your chance to walk across by like 5-10 seconds. I tried to compensate by speeding up between lights but I knew I was lagging behind schedule. Once I got free of the lights, I turned on the afterburners. Unfortunately by that time, I hit the big hills.

I will say that it is kind of fun running through residential areas on a weekday morning. It's like watching Provo wake up. I saw kids walking to school with their brothers and sisters, men walking dogs by the park, and of course the three ladies chatting on a street corner (one of them cheered as I ran by... "run faster!"). I even caught a young girl saying "bye Dad" as she walked out the door to leave for school.

I nearly ran myself into exhaustion  on my way home and I was surprised to find that I still had 25 minutes to spare before I had to leave. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment