Day 37: The Church Tour

Date: April 11th 2011, 4:45 pm
Distance: 18.4 miles
Weather:

I moved this long run to Monday because I felt bad on Saturday. And it was a legitimate, foggy headed, pour-Robitusson-on-my-cereal type of bad, folks. I was out for 3 days. And even though I was back to 85% when I left for my run, it was still pretty hard to get out the door.


I've been planning this run for a while. You see, I am always surprised by how many LDS churches I pass as I go on my runs. It's almost ridiculous. So I decided that I would see how many churches I could pass in a single run. This route was calculated to pass as many churches as possible. The complicated route mandated that I bring a map along with me.



During my run, I saw:

40 LDS Chapels
4 Churches of other denominations
3 LDS Seminary and Intsitute Buildings
1 LDS Temple

That's one LDS church building every 0.46 miles. And that isn't counting the hundreds of LDS wards that meet in random buildings all over BYU and UVU campuses. In my opinion, if you live around here you should be walking to church.

I also ran with my camera and took pictures. Feast your eyes:



Running by churches took me off of the main roads and put me into the neighborhoods which was really an interesting experience. It felt like I was running through "America". Broken toys, barbecue grills, kids on skateboards and Razor scooters, Christmas lights, broken down cars, and signs declaring that the house was armed with an APX or ADT alarm system. I'm convinced you can learn a lot about a neighborhood by running through it.

Here are some more interesting things I saw along the way.

Deer

This Apartment complex filled their swimming pool with gravel and stuck a swingset on top of it.

Apple in the gutter

Funny Bumper Sticker (and yours truly)

No comments:

Post a Comment