Day 41: The Unlucky Bird

Date: April 20th 2011, 10am
Distance: 8.2 miles
Weather: Overcast

The weather was great so I took the opportunity to do a morning run. I ran this route counter-clockwise, taking the hill up to Orem first.


The first half was pretty chill... just cruising along listening to the I-pod. Things got interesting once I got into Orem. The problem with running on busy Orem streets is that there's always the issue with drivers wanting to turn into the parking lot as you run by. Today, I had a scare by two separate drivers who were talking on their cell phones. They usually don't see me, start to turn in, and then stop once they are at the mouth of the entrance, often just sitting in somebody else's lane. C'mon folks.

Once I got into the neigborhoods I had an funny experience. While I was running by a house, I scared a pigeon out of a bush in somebody's yard. The bird flew out into the street, where it ran into the front corner of a passing white sedan. The bird deflected off of the car, recovered in mid flight, and flew back into the yard and over the fence. I couldn't help but laugh. The funny this is, this has happened to me before. Once, Jeff and I were riding bikes to URM (that bulk foods store in Greenacres) when we scared a bird out of a bush. That time, however, the bird flew into traffic cruising at 35-40 MPH. Needless to say, it failed to recover with the same grace that my pigeon friend did today.

I finished up the run with a sprint up the final hill approaching my apartment. I guess we'll just have to see if I have that kind of energy left as I approach the finish line on race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment