Day 34: The Wet One: Part 2

Date: April 2nd 2011, 8:30 pm
Distance: 11.6 miles
Weather: Rain

Michael came down to see General Conference so he decided to join me on my run.  We left right after Priesthood session (instead of sprinting out the door during the closing song and fighting people for parking spots in front of Fuddruckers. I prefer to pass on that experience).

The weather was menacing and sure enough, it started raining. It was then that I noticed: every time that Michael goes running with me, it rains (as evidenced in "The Wet One: Part 1"). In fact, because of this trend, I'm predicting rain for the day of the marathon. I suppose that all this running in the rain will be good training.

We got on University Ave and just kept running South (only digressing briefly to run a lap around the South Town Mall). Michael proved, once again, that running over a bridge produces in one an undeniable desire to hawk a loogie (the spellchecker in Blogger is trying to tell me that "loogie" is not a word. I know better).

Pretty soon, we found ourselves sprinting across the freeway on-ramp because there were no crosswalks or sidewalks. I always get a special feeling when I run by a "no pedestrians" sign. Somewhere along the southern leg of our run, Michael picked up a hubcap on the side of the road. He decided to carry it along until he found a good place to deposit it. That place came up about 2/3 of a mile down the road when we crossed over some train tracks. There was a derelict train stopped on the tracks underneath us. A well aimed throw landed the hubcap in the back of a open-topped railroad car. That would have earned him like 500 points in a video game (the paperboy memories are flooding back again).

Several more miles of uphill and we were back home again. The rain had slowed quite a bit by then. Oh, and special props to Mike for buying me ice cream when his date bailed on him. It sure hit the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment