Day 28: 15 miles

Date: March 19th 2011, 8:15 am
Distance: 15 miles (never would have guessed that, huh?)
Weather: Grrrrrreat!

It was a long run... deep South into unfamiliar territory, and back again. Most of the run was on the same road, so I just had to keep me head up and keep moving forward. However, there was plenty to keep me interested. Following are the top 5 sights from today's run.
  1. The Banana - about 2/3 of the way to Springville I ran by a banana on the shoulder of the road. It was a full banana... not just the peel. Remarkably, it was in really good condition... not withered or bruised or anything. It had probably been there for no more than a day. Maybe 500 meters further down the road, I saw another one, only this time it was just the peel. On the way back, I'll admit, I was feeling a little burned out and I entertained the thought of eating the first one. But Momma always used to say: "If you are ever going for a run and you see a banana lying in the road, don't eat it." So I didn't.
  1. The Memorial Bench - There's a bench at a bus stop in Springville that is made out of marble and looks just like a headstone in a graveyard. Engraved into the sitting surface are the words "In Memory of _____ _____" and it has the dates the person lived and everything. So, its like sitting on this guy's headstone as you wait for the bus. This makes me wonder... is this person buried right here at the bus stop? Is the bus stop haunted? Is it just a memorial? Either way, something just felt disrespectful about taking a seat, so I decided to move on.
  1. Topsoil For Sale - I swear, I saw five or six signs and billboards advertising topsoil for sale. I don't know why, but I found this quite amusing.
  1. Motorcycle Statue - In downtown Springville there is a sweet statue of a Harley Davidson Motorcycle. It looks like a bullet or speed record bike or something. Check out the picture: 
  1. Spanish Fork Windmills - You can't see these windmills from inside Springfield but you get a good glimpse of them as you are approaching. When you have them all spinning like they were today, it's just a cool sight.
It is also nice running in Springfield for once. I've spent a lot of time running in Orem and Provo, so being in a new city brings about a nice change of atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment